Royal Dowry Towns present themselves ...

Facebook

Places of Interest - must see!


Dvůr Králové nad Labem

Town Monument Tour 

Dvůr Králové nad Labem offers a number of historical monuments and you can discover the most famous ones by setting off on the Town Monument Tour. It is not physically demanding – both children and adults can manage it without a problem. It is 1.7 km long and you will learn the most important facts about the history of the town within the urban conservation area. You can admire the newly reconstructed T.G. Masaryk Square, the remains of the town fortification walls and the preserved Šindelář tower. You can learn more about the town’s history by visiting the museum exhibitions and you wil have the whole city at your fingertips from the tower of the Church of St. John the Baptist. Contact: www.dvurkralove.cz

ZOO Dvůr Králové – the cheapest trip to Africa 

ZOO Dvůr Králové raises the largest collection of African animals in Europe and endangered species from other continents. There are more than 2 700 animals to see in an expanse of 78 hectares. It offers an African safari, riding in your own car amidst animals and a walk through 10 hectares of classic zoo with tropical pavilions, kiosks and restaurants, children’s playgrounds and exhibits with 2000 animals of 300 species from different regions of the world. The zoo also offers a gallery called “Pravěk očima Zdeňka Buriana“ (Prehistory through the Eyes of Zdeněk Burian), the only permanent exhibition of paintings of this artist in the world. Contact: www.zoodvurkralove.cz
 

Přehrada Les Království (Forest Kingdom Dam)

The Forest Kingdom Dam – several kilometres away from Dvůr Králové nad Labem, up the Elbe River expands one of the most beautiful dams in Bohemia. The dam, towers, dike keeper’s house, water surface and surrounding vast forests appear almost fairytale-like. The dam was built in 1910–1919, and a hydro power plant was built here two years later. This dam has been protected as a Technical Monument since 1964 and as a National Cultural Monument since 2010. The “Naučná stezka Lesem Království“ (Through the Kingdom’s Forest Nature Trail) leads from the dam to Hájemství, which is 4 kilometres away.
 

Hradec Králové

Architecture - Walking tours

Hradec Králové is often referred to as the “textbook of architecture in the open air”. To avoid getting lost in this textbook, choose one of the walking tours that are focussed on individual periods of architectural development in the town: Walking Tour no. 1 “Historical Town” (from Gothic through Baroque to Art Nouveau), Walking Tour no. 2 “Salon of the Republic” (modern architecture from the 1st half of the 20th century), Walking Tour no. 3 “Fortress” (remains of the Baroque fortress from 1745–1785), Walking Tour  no. 4 “Contemporary Architecture” (buildings of architectural interest from the turn of the 21st century). Contact: www.hradeckralove.org
 

Fun for the whole family 

Several institutions in the town offer a fun way of learning for the whole family through interactive exhibits. You can visit for example the Muzeum východních Čech (Museum of East Bohemia) in Hradec Králové, the Labyrint Divadla DRAK (DRAGON Theatre Labyrinth), the Information Centre Obnovitelné zdroje a vodní elektrárnu Hučák (Information Centre of Renewable Resources and the Hučák Hydro Power Plant). Take a ride on the children’s railway, the Hradec tourist train or enjoy a cruise on the Elbe on board a steamboat or pirate sailboat. The Tongo Family Fun Park offers a lot of fun and the Koupaliště Flošna (Flošna outdoor swimming facilities) with wellness services in summertime. You can choose from an extensive offer of the most significant events in the town listed by the Calendarium Regina or take advantage of the services of HK Point information, sales and reservation portals. Contact: www.calendariumregina.cz, www.hkpoint.cz
 

Nature

Hradec Králové is a town of greenery. The large number of parks offers plenty of space for relaxation, as well as fun thanks to events that are held annually. Trails along both the Labe (Elbe) and Orlice are ideal for recreational sports and the water sportsmen crisscross the Orlice River. The extensive territory of the town forests begins on the edge of the town and it is only up to you whether you wander throughout them on foot, bicycle, horseback, inline skates or cross-cross skis in winter. A fairytale trail awaits children and those who yearn for discovery will enjoy the educational trail, planetary trail and galactic trail. Contact: www.hradeckralove.org, www.mestske-lesy.cz
 

Chrudim

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

The town’s dominant landmark stands on the main square of Chrudim – Resselově (Ressel’s) Square. The church has a Gothic foundation and was reconstructed several times. Its current form was imprinted on it by architect František Schmoranz in the middle of the 19th century.  
 

Mydlářovský dům (Mydlar House)

The originally Gothic building was rebuilt by the wealthy Chrudim burgher Matěj Mydlář in 1571 in Renaissance style. The house received arcades and a tower. The name Matěj Mydlář was connected with Jan Mydlář, a Prague executioner, but it just happened to be a mere coincidence of names. The building now houses the Muzeum loutkářských kultur (Museum of Puppets). Contact: www.puppets.cz
 

Complex of museum building 

The Regionální museum (Regional Museum) is based in one part with the latest attraction for visitors – new permanent exhibit of posters by the world renowned artist Alphonse Mucha. The second part of the museum complex is a beautiful concert hall for social events such as balls, conferences and important meetings. Contact: www.chrudim.eu
 

Muzeum barokních soch (Museum of Baroque Statues)

The new tourist attraction of the town is housed in the former monastery church of St. Joseph, where significant Baroque works of sculpture from East Bohemia are installed. Contact: www.mubaso.cz
 

Jaroměř

Historical centre

The attention of today’s visitors is mainly focussed on the historical square with an arcade, the Gothic Church of St. Nicholas, the town gateway with a belfry and the Marian Column by M. B. Braun. The column is the focal point of the square – it stands out with its lavish sculptural decoration. It was erected in 1723–1727. Contact: www.jaromer-josefov.cz
 

Muzeum magie (Museum of Magic)

Jaroměř is the birthplace of magic. In 1820, the first Bohemian theatre of magic theatre set off from here - M. S. Patrčky (1787–1838). Thus another interesting sight in the town is the Museum Magic – the only museum of its kind in Europe, which maps the history of the origin of conjuring, magic and spells, travelling theatres with interesting documents, posters and props. Contact: www.magickaloze.org/?nx=muzeum
 

Josefov Fortress

The largest tourist magnet is the underground corridors in the former town fortress Josefov, which has been a part of Jaroměř since 1948. The fortress was completed in 1787 and could fulfil its role, mainly to defend the northern border of the Austrian Empire against the Prussian Kingdom. The fortress also had other purposes, including the provision of safe accommodation to soldiers and civilians. If you would like to learn about the tough soldier’s life in the fortress, experience an adventure while walking through the underground corridors or relive the atmosphere of the former garrison town, then you are wholeheartedly welcome. Contact: www.pevnostjosefov.cz
 

Mělník

Chateau

On the site of the present day chateau once stood a wooden building structure, which underwent reconstruction in Romanesque style, thereby launching the complex building history of Mělnik’s chateau already back in the 10th century. Each architectural style left a mark on the chateau; however, the most notable one is Renaissance. Chateau owners, the Mělnik branch of the Lobkowicz family, have left certain parts of the attractive chateau complex accessible to the public, mainly its interiors and 14th century wine cellars, where you have the opportunity to taste wines from the production of the chateau’s vineyard. Contact: www.lobkowicz-melnik.cz
 

Observation Tower 

The tower has dominated the broad landscape of the confluence of the Labe (Elbe) and Vltava rivers for more than half a century. The late Gothic tower was made accessible to the public in 2007, after undergoing demanding reconstruction. After ascending 177 steps, a view of not only Mount Říp and the České středohoří (Central Bohemian Highlands) with Milešovka, but also Prague, Ještěd and the region of Karel Hynek Mácha with Bezděz, opens up to visitors under favourable weather conditions. The tower is open daily. Contact: www.saletini.cz
 

Church of St. Peter and Paul 

Originally an 11th century Romanesque church. It underwent a number of reconstructions, of which the most significant took place in Gothic style in the 1480s. After suffering a fire in 1681, the church tower received a Baroque dome, which it proudly boasts to the present. The ossuary is found below the church presbytery, the bones of which the founder of Czech anthropology Prof. Jindřich Matiegka arranged into its present form. Contact: www.saletini.cz
 

Well

In March 2008, a part of the underground space below the square was made accessible to the public. It includes a 60 metre long corridor cut out in arenaceous marl leading to a well, which used to be the only source of drinking water for the town until the 19th century. The well is 54 m deep and 4.54 m in diameter making it the widest known well in the Czech Republic. Contact: www.melnik.info
 

Nový Bydžov

Historical centre

It is an Urban Conservation Area. The focal point is Masaryk Square (regular geometrical shape – 1 ha) with the landmark – the Neo-Gothic town hall dating from 1862–1865, which today serves as the seat of the town’s office. Another valuable attraction of the square is the group of statues in the centre – the Marian plague column, the former “Column in the Square”. Contact: www.novybydzov.cz
 

Jewish cemetery 

It was established in 1520 and its age ranks it as the third oldest in Bohemia following the cemetery in Prague and Kolin. From then until 1885, not only members of the large local community were buried here but also Jews from the near and distant surroundings. On an area of more than half a hectare there are over 1480 tombstones. The oldest preserved tombstones made of dark fine-grained sandstone with an engraved Hebrew inscription dates back to 1577 in conversion to Christian years. Contact: www.novybydzov.cz
 

Baroque Church of St. Jacob the Greater in Metličany

The longitudinal single-naved structure without specific orientation and with a prismal tower and nave that reminds us of a radical Baroque structure, but its tower and façade already have classicist elements. The sacristy was added later on. Now it serves as a gallery. The south external wall of the sacristy is the Empire tombstone of Barbora of Kleborna. Contact: www.novybydzov.cz
 

Student Merends 

The history of special two-day student festivals accompanied by voting the “pantáta” and “panímáma” with singing and dancing reaches all the way back to 1750. The notoriety of Nový Bydžov merends has been promoted not only by the attendance of students but also the presence of well-known Czech poets, writers and politicians, for e.g. Václav Kliment Klicpera, František Ladislav Čelakovský, Božena Němcová and others. The last Merend took place in 2010 and the next should be held in 2015. Since the very beginning of Merends, the main revered symbol has been the student flag, the original of which is kept in the town’s museum and a replica is displayed in the large historical room of the town hall and is used for the student celebrations. Contact: www.novybydzov.cz
 

Polička

Bohuslav Martinů’s birthplace

The famous composer was born in the tower of the Church of St. Jacob at a height of 36 metres. The five-member Martinů family lived here until he was 11 years old. Ascend the 192 steps to not only be rewarded by a magical place with the room furnished by the original furniture of the Martinů family, but also a stunning view of Polička and its surroundings. Contact: www.cbmpolicka.cz, www.policka.org
 

Polička’s forticiation walls

Massive stone fortification walls reinforced by 19 bastions, which encircle the historical centre in the length of 1220 m and belong among the best preserved in Central Europe. A walk around the fortification walls in the park or directly along the gallery of the walls with a guide are recommended. Contact: www.cbmpolicka.cz, www.policka.org
 

Palacký Square and its Baroque gems 

• Polička’s town hall belongs among the three most significant Baroque town halls in the whole country.  
• The Plague Column is 22 metres high and according to the opinions of experts, it is unrivalled in Bohemia.
Contact: www.cbmpolicka.cz, www.policka.org
 

Svojanov Castle

Svojanov Castle lies in the beautiful landscape of deep forests and is now the only castle in the country where Gothic mixes with Empire, thus creating a medieval style of the 19th century. The castle has been in the ownership of Polička Town since 1910. The castle is ideal for a family or romantic trip. Each tour of the castle interiors is led by a guide dressed in historical costumes. Contact: www.svojanov.cz
 

Trutnov

Trutnov dragon 

Trutnov owns something unique – an original collection of legends, which are related to the establishment of the town and include the legend of the Trutnov dragon. You will encounter the mythical creature in many places around Trutnov [in the Old Town Hall in summer, also in Dračí uličce (Dragon Lane) or in the town park] and in 2012 the town even created a gallery for the dragon in Školní St. The permanent exhibition here will satisfy all generations of visitors. The attractive mechanical theatre portrays the Trutnov legend about the dragon and other installations are bound to intrigue you. Don’t miss out on the town dragon festivities (They are Brining Him!), which are annually held at the beginning of May. Contact: www.trutnovmestodraka.cz, www.galeriedraka.cz
 

Military history 

The Battle of Trutnov during the Prussian-Austrian War in 1866 is commemorated here by an educational trail, which is a part of the long-distance cycle trail “Po stopách války 1866” (In the Footsteps of the War of 1866) leading from the Polish borderlands all the way to Chlum at Hradec Králové. You will find the most modern fortress in Bohemia just under 9 km away from Trutnov in the direction of a Žacléř above the village of Babí – the artillery fort Stachelberg from 1935–1938. Contact: www.ictrutnov.cz, www.stachelberg.cz
 

Unique culture

Společenské centrum Uffo (Trutnov Social Centre) opened in 2010, brings the finest to Trutnov that is available on the Czech theatre and music scene. It provides exquisite facilities for balls, social events and programmes for families with children. Each year, at the end of May and beginning of June, the international festival of the new circus Cirk-UFF is held, which literally floods the town. Trutnov is also known for its international music festival Jazzinec. The town gallery also merits nationwide prestige. For the last three years, art exhibits have not been limited to just the interior of the Renaissance building on Slovansky Square, but are also installed in the exterior of the town within the project Sochy v Trutnově (Statues in Trutnov). Contact: www.uffo.cz, www.jazzinec.cz, www.galerietu.cz
 

Vysoké Mýto

The largest square-shaped square in Bohemia 

The uniqueness in the Přemysl Otakar II Square, which ranks among the largest in Bohemia, lies not only in its area (2 hectares, the sides measure: 153, 147, 134 and 127 m), but also in its system of streets in the corners and centre of its sides. A plague column stands in the centre of the square. The square belongs to the significant remains of Gothic architecture in Bohemia. Contact: www.vysoke-myto.cz
 

Statue of Přemysl Otakar II

The first Bohemian and European sculptural tribute to the founder of more than 50 towns and castles in Central Europe. The statue was created by the civic association Pomník zakladateli města (Monument of the Town’s Founder) and was unveiled on 8 September 2012 within the 750th anniversary of Vysoké Mýto’s existence. It was made by the blacksmith and sculptor Karel Bureš, who used 300 kg of iron for it and 1 – 2 grams of gold. The statue stands in front of a the Pražska brana (Prague Gate). Contact: www.vysoke-myto.cz
 

The largest paitnting by Petr Brandl in the Church of St. Lawrence

The landmark of Vysoké Mýto – the Chruch of St. Lawrence was established most likely along with the town in the 2nd half of the 13th century. The main altar of the church is adorned by Petr Brandl’s masterpiece – a painting of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary from 1728. This is the largest painting by Brandl in Czech lands (703 × 296 cm), purchased in 1787 from the closed-down monastery in Sedlec near Kutna Hora. Contact: www.vysoke-myto.cz
 

Fortification walls 

They were preserved as the remains of the original fortification of the town from the 2nd half of the 13th century. The memorial plaque embedded in the walls in Jungmann’s Park is worth seeing as it bears all of the memorial events of the town’s history. Contact: www.vysoke-myto.cz
 

INFORMATION CENTRES OF THE ROYAL DOWRY TOWNS

 
Dvůr Králové nad Labem | Town Information Centre
nám. T. G. Masaryka 2, 544 17  Dvůr Králové nad Labem
tel./fax: +420 499 321 742
e-mail: info@mudk.cz
www.dvurkralove.cz
 
Hradec Králové | Town Information Centres: 
1. Gočárova třída 1225
2. Velké náměstí 165 
3. Hlavní nádraží – Riegrovo nám. 914, 500 02  Hradec Králové
tel.: +420 495 534 485
e-mail: icko@ic-hk.cz 
www.ic-hk.cz, www.hradeckralove.org
 
Chrudim | Information Centre of the Town of Chrudim
Resselovo náměstí 1, 537 01  Chrudim I
tel.: +420 469 657 821, +420 773 993 333
e-mail: info@chrudim-city.cz 
www.chrudim.eu, www.navstevnik.cz
 
Jaroměř | Tourist Information Centre
náměstí ČSA 16, 551 01  Jaroměř
tel.: +420 491 847 220
e-mail: info@jaromer-josefov.cz 
www.jaromer-josefov.cz
 
Mělník | Tourist Information Centre
Legionářů 51, 276 01  Mělník
tel.: +420 315 627 503
e-mail: infocentrum@mekuc.cz
www.melnik.cz
 
Nový Bydžov | Město Nový Bydžov
Masarykovo náměstí 1, 504 01  Nový Bydžov
tel.: +420 495 703 911
e-mail: mesto@novybydzov.cz
www.novybydzov.cz
 
Polička | Information Centre Polička
Palackého nám. 160, 572 01  Polička
tel.: +420 461 724 326
e-mail: info@ic.policka.org
www.ic.policka.org, www.policka.org
 
Trutnov | Tourist Information Centre
Krakonošovo nám. 72, 541 01 Trutnov
tel./fax: +420 499 818 245 
e-mail: info@ictrutnov.cz
www.ictrutnov.cz, www.trutnov.cz
 
Vysoké Mýto | Information Centre
nám. Přemysla Otakara II. 96, 566 01 Vysoké Mýto
tel.: +420 465 466 112
e-mail: infocentrum@vysoke-myto.cz
www.vysoke-myto.cz, http://infocentrum.vysoke-myto.cz